Vermicelli upama or Semolina noodles is a popular Indian Breakfast/Lunch/Snack dish.
Its thinner than spaghetti noodles and you can use plain semolina or wheat semolina to prepare this dish.
I was inspired by Hetal and Anuja from showmethecurry.com to prepare this lovely dish and it came out awesome.
Try it out and Enjoy!
- Vermicelli (semolina noodles ) - 2.5 cups
- Chopped Onion - 1 cup
- Chopped Green chilli - 1 or 2 chillies
- Finely chopped ginger - 1 tsp
- Grated or cubed carrots - 1 cup
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup
- Boiling water - 2 cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Chopped Cilantro - for garnish
- For tadka / tempering:
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 stem
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Chana daal ( small split chickpeas) - 1tsp
- Moong daal ( split beans ) - 1tsp
- Optional: Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Cashewnuts - 1tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet and roast the vermicelli till light brown and until it becomes crisp and keep aside. ( Or you may buy roatsed Vermicelli from the department store)
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add the mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds crack, add the curry leaves.
- Add the chana daal and moong daal and fry till it becomes mild brown. ( You may fry peanuts and cashew nuts at this point as per your wish, I did not have those so dint use any)
- Then add the chopped green chillies and ginger and turmeric powder and once sauted for a while add the Onions and saute them till light pink.
- Add the grated carrots and peas and saute for 1 min.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add it to the mixture of onions and veggies.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and add salt.( adding a lilttle extra salt helps it to get infused better with the semolina noodles as it has no salt )
- Cover the skillet and let the vermicelli mix with the boiled water at medium heat.
- Stir once in between and keep closed until fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
- You may use veg or non-veg ingredients and add extra spice as per your wish and serve with coconut chutney or ketchup.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 198g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 61||67%|
|Total Fat 6.93g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 0.53g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 7.08g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|