For the past 5 or so years, I've been making this Unstuffed Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers, which also happens to be vegan and gluten free. It's also very healthy (!) filled with fresh vegetables and brown rice. Plus, it's not that expensive to make.
It makes more than enough for a family, party or if you're like me, you'll be eating it for lunch and dinner for the next several days. :) It's also fast to prepare - the longest part is cutting up the veggies.
- 3 green peppers
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 zucchini
- 1, 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Prepare the brown rice according to the box's directions.
- Chop up all the vegetables - small pieces for the garlic and onions, chunks for the peppers and zucchini.
- Coat the bottom of a large pan with with olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) and heat. Add garlic and stir for about a minute.
- Add onions, a little garlic salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Mix and cover, cooking until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add zucchini, mix and cover until zucchini just starts to get soft.
- Add the peppers, mix, cover and cook until the peppers just start to get mushy. (I prefer the peppers to still be a little crunchy, but if you want them to be mushier, cook longer)
- Stir in the can of tomatoes (with juice) and 1 cup tomato sauce. Cover and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add in the rice, mix well and let cook until the vegetables have a desired tenderness -- usually about 5 minutes.
- A dry white wine goes really well with this dish. Enjoy! :)
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2331g|
|Calories from Fat 45||3%|
|Total Fat 5.37g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.19g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 172.79g||46%|
|Dietary Fiber 23.4g||78%|