This is a print preview of "Uncle Amos' Molasses Cookies" recipe.
Uncle Amos' Molasses Cookies Recipe
This is an old stand-by, perfect for the holidays, for winter, for enjoying with a glass of milk, or hot coffee, tea or cocoa.
The beautiful thing is that these cookies get better everyday - if you can stand to have them around without consuming them!
This is a make-the-dough-one-day and bake-the-cookies-the-next project, so allow 2 days to produce these beauties.
You may decorate these cookies with a frosting or sugar sprinkles - but we like 'as is'.
|Prep time: 20 minutes
|Cook time: 10 minutes
||Servings: 48 cookies
1 C lard (or your preferred shortening)
1 C baking molasses (or your molasses on hand)
3 eggs (room temperature)
3/4 C light brown sugar
4-1/2 C flour (GF works great - as well as all purpose)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda (watch your expirations on these two)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp granulated orange peel (you can also use fresh orange, finely zested, about 1Tbs)
1 tsp sea salt
- Combine the shortening, molasses, orange peel, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Measure your spices and salt and powders into a dish
- Measure 4-1/2 C flour and sift into a large bowl
- Add the spices and powders to the sifted flour and whisk together
- Sift the dry ingredients a second time
- When the molasses mixture has cooled and the eggs are room temp, pour the molasses into a large mixing bowl, adding the eggs, one at a time, beat on low or use a whisk wooded spoon to combine well
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just blended. No overmixing allowed
- Butter a separate bowl and turn out the cookie dough, which will appear to be a thick toffee, into the clean and greased bowl.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight
- THE NEXT DAY
- Pre-heat the oven to 350^.
- Flour a board and your rolling pin
- pinch off a fist-sized piece of dough and gently press it out, then roll the ball to 1/4" thick
- cut the cookies with whatever shape you want, place the cookies on aparchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Bake to 10-12 minutes, untill crisp
- allow to cool 15 minutes before racking the cookies
- When completely cooled, you can serve them, plate them or tin them.