A Potjie in South Africa is a stew cooked on an open fire in a 3 legged cast iron pot (POTJIE)
This is a traditional way to cook ,take your time,consume much beer and wine and enjoy
- 1 kg Mutton, Venison, Ostrich neck or stewing meat or a mixture of them all
- 3 lge potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (Halved, halved again then 3 cross cuts so each potato will give you +-12 pieces)
- 3 onions (or more if you like) chopped
- 3 cloves garlic or (more if you like) chopped
- 6 cloves
- Â¾ tbs each Sweet Basil, Coriander seeds, Black Pepper (coarse), Oregano, sprig fresh Rosemary. Crush in a mortar and pestle.
- 500ml stock (Mutton, Beef or Chicken)
- 1 pkt Brown Onion soup powder
- Olive oil
- Place your pot over coals and add olive oil enough to fry onions (not too much)
- Add onions and garlic immediately and stir well to coat onion and lubricate the sides of the pot, cook for +-5 mins stirring regularly.
- Add spices stir well and cook for +_5mins stirring regularly so as not to burn
- Add meat and mix well with the onion and cook +_10 mins stirring to semi brown the meat.
- Add stock and cover for 1 hour checking heat and stirring every 15 mins
- Check liquid, add water if needed.
- Not too much heat, keep pot just boiling.
- Cook further until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes on top of meat cover and cook +_30 mins stirring twice to cover potato and mix with the meat.
- Mix Brown Onion sour in +_120ml water and add to the pot
- Heat through and serve with Rice and crunchy bread to mop up the juice.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 303g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1507||98%|
|Total Fat 167.12g||209%|
|Saturated Fat 78.98g||316%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.74g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|