Cost per recipe $8.42 view details
- 3 Tbsp. rendered chicken fat (schmaltz) melted
- 1/4 c. chicken stock plus
- 2 quart chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. truffle oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 lrg Large eggs
- 1 c. matzoh meal
- Â Â Skin from 4 chicken thighs
- 1 lrg onion minced large chunks
- 2 x garlic cloves coarsely minced
- 2 ounce shiitake mushrooms cut in chunks
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Mix together schmaltz, stock, truffle oil, salt, and Large eggs. Thoroughly fold in matzo meal. Chill for 1 hour. Form into golf balls and stuff with a tsp. of shiitake gribenes in the center, and cook, covered, in 2 qts of boiling chicken stock for 20 min till light as a feather but also heavy as a cannon ball.
- You may substitute duck or possibly goose schmaltz (not ortelon schmaltz, it's too bony). You can use a little more salt, but it's not good for you.
- For the Shiitake Gribenes: Saute/fry chicken skin till fat exudes and lightly golden brown. Saute/fry onion till deep golden. Add in garlic and saute/fry for 2 min. Strain to separate solids from oil and reserve both. Saute/fry mushrooms in 1 Tbsp. of the oil in the pan till wilted.
- Remove shiitakes and reserve for the matzoh balls. Nosh on the gribenes, shmeared on rye bread.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2426g|
|Calories from Fat 877||70%|
|Total Fat 97.66g||122%|
|Saturated Fat 28.25g||113%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.78g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.0g||40%|