Not sure why these are called Pfoo cookies. Maybe because you eat a batch as they are coming out of the oven and scald your mouth. And then you can't talk right all day. No idea. In any case, these are incredible. Easy to make, great paired with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Little and great for packing in lunches too. If you're at all a fan of marzipan and almonds in general, you'll love love love these; they have a lovely Italian biscotti flavour. Also, you can get almonds already ground up at Trader Joes, which is 90% of the work. Think they're near the flour.
- 2 cups ground almonds (not to a paste) Trader Joes "Just Almond Meal" will save you grinding.
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 egg whites (large eggs)
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- If you don't have access to almond meal, grind whole amonds to a powder, not to paste.
- Add sugar and flour and process until blended.
- Add egg whites, vanilla and almonds and process to damp paste.
- If it is still too sticky to form into 1" balls, add a touch more flour until you can mold them better.
- Form dough into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet 2" apart.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- If you keep a bowl of water handy when rolling the dough balls, you can keep your fingers clean, and help keep the dough a little sticky.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 18g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 13||19%|
|Total Fat 1.58g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.12g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.88g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|