Cost per serving $1.61 view details
- 1 c. unsweetened cocoa, pwdr
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 3 x egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted, and, cooled
- 3 c. sifted cake-and-pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pch salt
- Chocolate Icing
- 1 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 c. icing sugar
- 6 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted, and, cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Grease three 9-inch (1.5 L) round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; set aside.
- In bowl, whisk cocoa pwdr with 1 1/2 c. (375 mL) boiling water till smooth. Let cold to room temperature.
- In large bowl, beat butter till fluffy; gradually beat in sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat in Large eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- On low speed, beat in melted chocolate.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking pwdr, baking soda and salt.
- Using wooden spoon, stir into chocolate mix alternately with cocoa mix, making three additions of flour mix and two of cocoa mix. Divide among prepared pans.
- Bake in centre of oven for 30 to 40 min or possibly till cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cold in pans on racks for 15 min.
- Remove from pans; let cold completely on racks. (Cakes can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 1 day or possibly over-wrapped in foil and frzn in rigid airtight container for up to 1 month.)
- Peel paper from one of the cake layers; place on plate.
- Spread top with 1 c. (250 mL) of the Chocolate Icing.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Top with last layer; spread top and side with remaining icing.
- Chocolate Icing:In bowl and with electric beaters, beat butter till fluffy; gradually beat in cream.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in icing sugar, 1 c. (250 mL) at a time.
- Beat in melted chocolate till fluffy and smooth.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 189g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 476||54%|
|Total Fat 54.64g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 32.57g||130%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 94.55g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|