This recipe was adapted from Cook's Illustrated 2005. These really are the very best. Start checking Blondies before they are supposed to be done - they dry out very easily. Choose a very good quality white and/or semisweet chocolate bar instead of chips for better results.
- 1 c (4oz) pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 c (7 1/2oz) unbleached ap flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 12 T (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 1/2 c (10 1/2oz) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 lrg eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 6 oz white chocolate or 3 oz white & 3 oz semisweet chocolate, use good quality chocolate bar chopped instead of chips
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 deg. Spread nuts on baking sheet and toast 10-15 mins until deep golden brown. Cool, chop coarsly and set aside.
- While nuts toast line a 9x13 baking pan with foil going up sides and having overhang to lift Blondies out of pan with when finished. Spray foil in pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in med bowl. In another med bowl whisk melted, cooled butter and brown sugar until combined, add eggs and vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined, do not over mix. Fold in chocolate and nuts and turn into prepared pan. Smooth top with spatula.
- Bake until top is shiny, cracked, and light golden brown. This should take 22 - 25 mins. Do not over bake or Blondies will turn hard.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 mins then lift from pan using foil and continue to cool on wire rack until room temp. Cut into 2" squares.
- ** If adding toasted coconut, to make Congo Bars, be sure it's unsweetened.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 44g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 83||43%|
|Total Fat 9.6g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4.31g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.27g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|