With all the recent posts about Brownies, I couldn't hold out any longer..... When I have a chocolate craving and I want it to be perfect, there is only one person I turn to, Alice Medrich the Queen of Chocolate. While her recipe couldn't be any simpler, I did make just a few adjustments, not to the recipe of course (all though I did add some bittersweet chocolate chips to it) but to the prep.
Here is Alice Medrich's Brownie Recipe from Bittersweet.
- Best Cocoa Brownies- Alice Medrich
- 10 Tablespoons (1 1/4 stick butter)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cold large eggs 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup pecans or walnut pieces
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and get a 9" square baking pan. Line the baking pan with parchment or aluminum foil with an overhang on opposite sides so you can lift out the brownies from the pan.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a heat proof bowl and place it over a small saucepan with simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool just a little bit. Add the vanilla and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one (I'm not too sure just how vigorously you can stir chocolate with a wooden spoon). When the batter looks thick, shiny and well blended add the flour and stir until you can no longer see it , and then beat it vigorously for 40 strokes with your wooden spoon. Add the nuts and chocolate chips and spread evenly in your baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minute's or until a toothpick comes out slightly moist with batter. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- After the they have cooled lift the brownies out of the pan and gently remove the foil or parchment from the sides of the brownies. Cut the brownies into squares and enjoy!!
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 719g|
|Calories from Fat 697||25%|
|Total Fat 79.41g||99%|
|Saturated Fat 31.33g||125%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 504.43g||135%|
|Dietary Fiber 15.5g||52%|