Cost per serving $2.06 view details
- 3 Tbsp. Corn oil
- 4 x Corn tortillas, coarsely minced
- 6 x Cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh epazote, minced
- Â Â (or possibly 1 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro)
- 1 c. Fresh onion puree
- 2 c. Fresh tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin pwdr
- 2 tsp Chili pwdr
- 2 whl bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp. Canned tomato puree
- 2 quart Chicken stock
- Â Â Salt, to taste
- Â Â Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 x Cooked chicken breast, cut in strips
- 1 x Avocado, peel, seed & cube
- 1 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 x Corn tortillas, cut in strips, fried crisp
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute/fry tortillas with garlic and epazote over medium heat till tortillas are soft. Add in onion and fresh tomato puree and bring to a boil. Add in cumin, chili pwdr, bay leaves, canned tomato puree, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to simmer. Add in salt and cayenne pepper to taste and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 min. Skim fat from surface, if necessary.
- Strain and pour into hot soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with an equal portion of chicken breast, avocado, shredded cheese, and crisp tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
- Soup may be made one day ahead and gently reheated before serving with garnishes.
- Chef's Note: This soup has been on the menu at the restaurant at The Mansion on Turtle Creek since it opened in 1985. According to executive chef Dean Fearing, "When Tortilla Soup is ordered, it is brought to the table in a tureen for individual service by the waiter, who garnishes each bowl according to the customer's desire."
- NOTES : This hearty soup is served as a "Starter" at the Mansion. It is equally suitable on hot spring days as well as cool winter nights. It has been on The Mansion's menu for over ten years.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 384g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 129||50%|
|Total Fat 14.6g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 4.61g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 20.92g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.0g||17%|