Thai Sticky Rice With Northern Thai Sauce Recipe
- In large bowl or possibly container, twice volume of rice; cover with 3 inches (8 cm) of water.
- Soak for at least 8 hrs or possibly for up to 24 hrs. (Alternately, soak in hot water for about 2 hrs.)
- Drain rice; place in steamer basket or possibly steamer over boiling water, making sure water does not touch rice.
- Cover and steam for 25 min, or possibly till rice is tender and shiny, adding boiling water to maintain level if necessary.
- Remove from steamer, breaking up into small clumps.
- If not serving immediately cover with cloth or possibly lid to prevent from drying out.
- Northern Thai Sauce:Using mortar and pestle grind together dry shrimp, shallot, chilies and lemon rind.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add in shrimp mix; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in beef; stir-fry for 3 min or possibly till no longer pink.
- Add in tomatoes, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min or possibly till medium-thick consistency.
- Serve sauce with handful of rice.