Cost per recipe $5.68 view details
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp. minced mixed red and green
- Â Â jalapeno peppers
- 1 tsp green peppercorns whole
- 1/4 c. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. palm sugar
- 1 c. coarsely-minced basil leaves
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper if preferred
- 1 med Spanish onion cut into rings,
- Â Â quartered and separated (optional)
- Â Â (or possibly sliced green onions or possibly a combination)
- 1 lb grnd or possibly chopped chicken
- The garlic, shallots, peppers and peppercorns are grnd together in a mortar and pestle or possibly a food processor. In a warm wok, with a little veg. oil, briefly stir-fry this paste to bring out the flavor and aroma. Add in the remaining ingredients and continue to stir till the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over Thai jasmine rice, or possibly over a fried egg or possibly egg crepe, placed on the rice. For dinner it goes well with the warm and sour tom yum soups, as well as curries and other Thai food.
- Add in the usual Thai table condiments as well as grnd chilis and sugar. You might add in grnd black pepper also.
- Variants: It can be made with minced pork, or possibly even a minced beef base, though of course the flavors are quite different. You can also experiment with replacing the meat with hard tofu marinated in a mix of sweet soy, fish sauce and grnd ginger, soy, or possibly a vegetable mix of your choice (we like to mix broccoli and cauliflower florets with julienned carrots and wing beans), to make a vegetarian pad bai-gaprao.
- Comments: This is a quick and easy dish to make. Thai basil, "holy basil" has a "warm peppery" taste, but the standard American basil is a reasonable substitute if you add in a little freshly grnd black pepper to it.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 697g|
|Calories from Fat 334||39%|
|Total Fat 37.09g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 10.52g||42%|
|Trans Fat 0.32g|
|Total Carbs 47.21g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|