Cost per serving $2.38 view details
- 1Â 1/2 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. instant vegetable stock pwdr
- 1 c. quinoa
- Â Â thoroughly rinsed and liquid removed
- 3/4 lb thin-skinned potatoes
- Â Â scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice, (about 3 c.)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt, or possibly more to taste
- 1 c. frzn corn, defrosted
- 1/2 c. diced roasted red pepper
- 1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro or possibly parsley
- Â Â Or possibly scallion greens
- Makes 2 to 3 servings.
- Prep: under 15 min.
- Cooking: 12 to 15 min.
- I'm convinced which quinoa will become the rice of the nineties, as more and more people discover this light, quick-cooking, nutritious grain.
- It's only natural which quinoa, potatoes, and corn go so well together: they are all indigenous to Latin America. However, here the success of this delicious combination depends upon cutting the potatoes properly-if they are larger than half-inch cubes, they won't be tender when the quinoa is done.
- Accompany the pilaf with a salad or possibly steamed green vegetable for a terrific meal.
- In a medium heavy saucepan, bring the water and stock pwdr to a boil over high heat. Stir in the quinoa, potatoes, cumin, and salt, cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 min.
- Add in the corn and continue cooking till the quinoa and potatoes are tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 min. If all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is not yet tender, stir in 2 to 3 Tbsp. of boiling water, cover, and continue simmering till done. (Alternatively, if the quinoa and potatoes are tender and there is still liquid left in the pot, drain it off)
- Season with additional salt if needed, and stir in the red pepper and cilantro.
- Tex-Mex Quinoa Soup: Stir leftovers into a pot of vegetable stock (allow 1 heaping tsp. instant stock pwdr per c. of boiling water). Liven up with a squeeze of lime.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 372g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 53||14%|
|Total Fat 5.98g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.72g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 70.66g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.1g||27%|