Instead of the regular cake or pudding for dessert, try the following healthy carrot cake recipe. Carrot cakes are not only very delicious to eat, but also very healthy. This recipe consists of figs and carrots, which are good for digestion.
- Shopping list:
- Wheat flour â 100 grams
- Cake flour â 100 grams
- Baking soda â 5 grams
- Baking powder â 5 grams
- Fresh carrots â 400 grams
- Brown sugar â 330 grams
- Molasses â 10 grams
- Vegetable oil â 56 ml
- Cinnamon powder â 2 grams
- Eggs â 2
- Orange â 1
- Lemon â 1
- Poppy seeds â 5 grams
- Dried figs â 5 grams
- Salt â a pinch
- Chopped pecans â 20 grams
- Raisins â 20 grams
- To prepare:
- Preheat the oven to 170Â°C.
- Break the eggs in a deep bowl, add the sugar and whisk until fluffy.
- Add the vegetable oil (Â¼ cup) to the mix and whisk well.
- Now add the molasses and salt and continue whisking until it is mixed properly.
- Peel and grate the carrots. Take 2 cups of grated carrots and add to the prepared mix.
- Squeeze the orange and grate the orange zest. Add to the mix.
- Take 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and add to the mix.
- Chop and add the raisins, dried figs, pecans and poppy seeds to the mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cake flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder.
- Fold the flour mix into the cake batter, spoon by spoon, and mix well. There should be no lumps in the mix.
- Let the mix rest for some time.
- In the meantime, grease a 9 inch baking tin of the shape of your choice and dust some cake flour on the insides.
- Pour the cake batter in the baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 1Â½ hours.
- Insert a skewer in the middle of the cake to check if it is done. If the skewer comes out clean, then your cake is ready to serve.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes and cut in slices.
- You can store this healthy carrot cake for up to two weeks as the vegetable oil will keep it moist.
- To serve:
- Glaze the cake with hot chocolate sauce to serve.
- You can also serve it with black sesame ice cream.
- Cream cheese frosting is one of the most preferred ways to serve carrot cake.
- The cake is quite dense and heavy; therefore, when serving to children cut the cake in thin fingers.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 213g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 117||21%|
|Total Fat 13.29g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1.26g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.27g|
|Total Carbs 108.64g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|