I loved eating this in Japan and love to order it when I am visit Suruki supermarket in downtown San Mateo. Finally, I learned to make it myself. It is amazingly easy and soooo good! This dish with just a small piece of grilled salmon, meat or vegetable makes a wonderful lunch or light dinner. Feel free to mix up the ingredients adding different vegetables (onions, broccoli, soy beans, green beans, etc.), fried or extra firm tofu, diced chicken, konnyaku, etc.
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. mirin (sweet sake)
- 2/3 tsp. salt
- 2/3 tsp. dashinomoto (dried fish stock granules you can get in the asian section or at an asian supermarket)
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 10-20 minutes to reconstitute (reserve the soaking water as stock), then stem removed and sliced thinly
- 1-2 Tbsp wakame (dried seaweed) (optional)
- 4 cups (rice measuring cup) short or medium grain white or brown rice (I used 2 cups brown and 2 cups white)
- Mix the soy sauce, mirin, salt and dashinomoto.
- Put the dried shiitake and wakame in a bowl and cover with very hot water. Let soak.
- While soaking, shred carrots or cut into small strips.
- When done soaking, remove hard tips from the reconstituted shiitake, and then cut into small strips.
- Add the soup stock from step 1 to the water used to soak the dried shiitake and mix well.
- Measure rice accurately and place in inner cooking pan. Rinse rice under water until water clears. Use the rice measuring cup to pour in the combined mushroom stock and sauce. Continue adding water until you've added 2 3/4 rice cups of liquid (if using white or mixed rice) and 3 rice cups of liquid if using all brown rice. Mix well.
- Spread the ingredients from steps 1 and 2 evenly on top of the rice. Cook the rice using the appropriate setting. If cooking on the stove, bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes until holes appear in the top of the rice.
- When rice completes cooking, open the lid and fluff the rice to loosen it and mix in the ingredients.
- Serve in a bowl or on a plate and top with fish, meat or vegetable.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 40g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1||5%|
|Total Fat 0.09g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.01g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.68g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|