Protein ingredients. I used skinned thighs but any type pieces would work. If using breasts make certain not to over cook.
Saute onions over low heat until nicely browned. Remove fond from bottom of pan as onions release juice.
Simmer for about ten minutes or until artichokes are tender and hot. Adjust liquid if necessary. Taste for seasong and adjust as needed
Since I just finished preserving lemons I needed something to try them out on. This recipe is adapted from one by Claudia Roden in her book Arabesque. The original did not use chicken broth which I used. I also skinned the chickent pieces; browned them in oil first to add some carmelization and depth of flavor. I added some additional spices in the form of garlic pepper, lemon pepper and used more saffron than she called for.
I wanted to use artichoke bottoms rather than hearts but could not find them for a reasonable price. Unfortunately the small Greek store I used to buy from sadly went out of business with the economic downturn. If you can find them they would be much better as the texture is more firm and they hold up better under the heat of simmering.
This dish serves four people nicely. I served it with couscous and a spinach salad with tomatoes and feta with a preserved lemon vinaigrette.
As for a wine something with acid to accentuate the lemon. I chose a Santa Barbara 2010 Terra d Oro Pinot Grigio which worked well.
- 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs Ghee
- 2 onions, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed and creamed
- 1 tsp saffron, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- salt, garlic pepper & lemon pepper to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 ea preserved lemons, rinsed and sliced
- 3 Tbs coriander, chopped
- 3 Tbs parsley, chopped
- 12-16 green or violet olives. Soak in water if you want to reduce the salt content.
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned and fat trimmed
- 14 oz artichoke hearts drained and rinsed if canned
- Brown the chicken in 2Tbs olive oil and Ghee until nicely browned on both sides. About 8-10 minutes on medium high heat. Remove from the pan and cover with foil.
- Add the remaining olive to the pan. Saute the onions over low heat until they are softened and nicely browned. Deglaze fond from pan as the onions release liquid. About 15 minutes total time. Add the garlic, saffron, ginger, salt/pepper and saute for about a minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and return the chicken pieces to the pan. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, coriander and parsley, preserved lemon pieces, olives and artichoke hearts. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the artichoke hearts are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- The dish is ready for the table
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 341g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 318||69%|
|Total Fat 35.6g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 10.03g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.2g|
|Total Carbs 18.81g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.2g||24%|