In the restaurant we cut this on an electric slicer. It is faster and more accurate than by hand.
It is also dangerous if the fish is frozen to hard or if it is not frozen at all and is to soft.
“Trick is to have it semi frozen when cutting home cooks I do not suggest the machine method use the method stated above it is safer and produces good results if done with care and not working to roughly with the slices of fish once pounded thin to avoid tears and holes that will make for an amateurish braciole and also allow for the filling to “OOZE” out when cooking…defeating the whole filling process.”
* Tip – “Do not let the machine run and run with the ingredients, the machine will get way to hot. Pulse always on and off…pulse in the eggs an stop…a little chunky or not completely smooth is better than heating it up to much and making a very unattractive paste or gooey mixture!”
- IngrÃ©dients: Serves 3-4 with 2-3 braciole on a skewer.
- swordfish steaks cut 1 Â¼ -1pound thick
- lemon â 1 ( juiced )
- salt (Kosher) to taste
- Fontina cheese â 16 ounces
- garlic cloves â 8 medium seize
- Italian parsley â 40 sprigs (approximately)
- basil leaves â 16
- pine nuts â 8 tablespoons (toasted)
- Reserved fish trimmings
- eggs- 4-6 (medium)
- Bread crumbs
- yellow raisins â 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaves â to layer in between braciole on skewer
- Skewers soaked in water (24-48 hours)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Arrange over sautÃ©ed broccoli rabe. Garnish with tapanade and tomato vinaigrette
- To make the Braciole
- o Divide each 1 Â¼ lb cut of swordfish in half.
- o Trim up and clean make even. (Disregard any blood line and dark areas)
- o Soak fish for Â½ hour in lightly salted and lemon water
- o Then pound out between 2 pieces of oiled plastic wrap (Thin no tears)
- o Easier to do if the fish is very cold or semi frozen,.
- o Reserve usable trimmings for filling.
- Filling for braciole:
- â¢ Process the cheese, garlic, parsley, basil, pine nuts, and raisins, in a food processor, using the âPULSEâ option.
- â¢ Add salt and pepper to taste
- â¢ Add the eggs with quick pulses one at a time Keep a thick -ish consistency
- â¢ Work fast when the mix gets to warm it will become gummy
- â¢ Spread the filling on pounded swordfish
- â¢ Place more filling in the center rather than the ends
- â¢ Sprinkle with bread crumbs
- â¢ Roll up tightly, skewer closed so cheese doesnât come out
- â¢ Place in freezer to firm up
- â¢ Skewer fish 3 to a portion alternate with bay leaves.
- â¢ Reserve till service
- â¢ Grill gently
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 552g|
|Calories from Fat 1283||67%|
|Total Fat 145.92g||182%|
|Saturated Fat 88.49g||354%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.52g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|