I discovered cabbage later in life. This recipe makes for a sweet/sour cabbage that is good hot, at room temperature and right out of the fridge. Please visit my blog http://inhomegourmet.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/its-like-shopping-for-shoes/ on what I prepared with this cabbage.
- 1 head of purple cabbage sliced crosswise for long slivers with white core removed
- 8 thick slices of really good bacon, diced in 2" squares
- 1 large yellow onion, diced medium
- 2 Apples, whatever kind you have on hand, peel, cores removed, diced medium
- 1/4C good red wine vinegar
- 1/2C brown sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice raw bacon and place in cold pan (use a dutch oven or 5 qt. pan) and then cook over medium to medium low flame. If bacon is too lean add some olive oil. Allow to cook about half way to crisp.
- Add diced onion and cook until bacon is crisp.
- Add all of red wine vinegar and de-glaze pan
- Add diced apple . Stir and cover pan. Cook until apple is tender, about 5 min.Taste your mixture. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Add cabbage, stirring to coat cabbage with mixture.
- Add brown sugar starting with 1/4C first. Combine and allow ingredients to meld for a couple of minutes, taste and then add more brown sugar if needed. Depending on the apples you use will really determine how much brown sugar you need.
- Cook for a minimum of 5 minutes allowing the sugars to dissolve. Do not over cook as the cabbage should still be crisp.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 81g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1||1%|
|Total Fat 0.09g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.02g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 20.87g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|