This recipe is prepared with homemade chicken broth and dumplings, which take a bit of time. However, you will have left-over broth to use for other purposes. I always have it on hand for bean recipes, soups, rice, etc.
The dumpling recipe is great and I found it on food.com.
- 1 small, cut-up fryer, or 6 pieces chicken, not just breasts
- 4 ribs chopped celery, divided
- 8 carrots, peeled, chopped, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. dry thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Note: I coarsely chop half of the carrots and celery for the first cooking of the broth with the chicken pieces, but dice the other half for the second cooking of the broth with chopped chicken. This concentrates the flavor of the broth, and keeps the veggies from getting mushy.
- 2 tbs. fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 cup AP flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- optional: 1 tsp. fresh, chopped rosemary, other herbs of choice, such as chives, basil, Italian seasoning, etc.
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry parsley
- 2 tbs. melted butter
- pinch thyme and oregano
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg
- Place the chicken pieces in a soup pot. Add 8-10 cups water.
- Add celery and carrot chunks, the medium onion, bay leaf, 2 tbs. parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer, un-covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces and veggies. Strain broth in a colander, removing residue. Reserve 6 cups broth. Refrigerate the rest.
- Let chicken cool. When you can handle the chicken, remove the skin and bones, discard. Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Return 6 cups broth to the pot with the second batch of celery, carrots, and scallions. Cook 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Prepare the dumplings by mixing the ingredients together. Dough will be a bit wet, so spoon heaping tbs. into the soup.
- Simmer over a low heat for 12-15 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Add cream, if desired, at the end.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 530g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 485||60%|
|Total Fat 53.93g||67%|
|Saturated Fat 17.47g||70%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.98g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||16%|