Napoleon's chef created this dish (using chicken) after a battle that Napoleon won against the English.
This recipe is crockpot friendly, or use a Dutch oven.
Serve with wide egg noodles or rice.
- 4 lbs. chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves crushed garlic, or 1-2 tsp. powder
- 2 8 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 1 cup Chablis or dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dry rosemary
- pinch of tarragon
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbs. butter
- 2 tbs. flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish: chopped parsley
- Brown the meat in the oil, remove.
- Add onions, celery, saute until onions are translucent.
- Re-add the beef chunks, along with the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Saute mushooms in butter, add flour.
- Stirring constantly, add the juices from the beef mixture.
- Pour the sauce back onto the beef mixture, simmer another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle parsley on top before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 403g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 271||44%|
|Total Fat 30.17g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 10.84g||43%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.64g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|