- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cover and chill dough at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with cutter and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in oven.
- Small cookies will bake in 6-10 minutes. Large cookies may take 25-30 minutes. Cookies are done when bottom and edges are lightly golden and the center no longer looks uncooked or raw.
- Remove cookies from the pan with a spatula.
- Allow to cool before decorating.
- Decorate as desired.