Cost per recipe $0.68 view details
- Sugar Cookie:
- 200g / 7oz / Â½ cup + 6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 400g / 14oz / 3 cups + 3 Tbsp All Purpose / Plain Flour
- 200g / 7oz / 1 cup Caster Sugar / Superfine Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
- 5ml / 1 tsp Vanilla Extract / Or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- Royal Icing (egg free)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- assorted food coloring
- Sugar Cookie:
- â¢ Cream together the butter, sugar and any flavorings youâre using. Beat until just becoming
- creamy in texture.
- â¢ Tip: Donât over mix otherwise youâll incorporate too much air and the cookies will spread during
- baking, losing their shape.
- â¢ Beat in the egg until well combined, make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the sifted flour and mix on low until a non sticky dough forms.
- â¢ Tip: I donât have a stand mixer so I find it easier to switch to dough hooks at this stage to avoid
- flour flying everywhere.
- â¢ Knead into a ball and divide into 2 or 3 pieces.
- â¢ Roll out each portion between parchment paper to a thickness of about 5mm/1/5 inch (0.2 inch)
- â¢ Refrigerate for a minimum of 30mins.
- Tip: Recipes commonly just wrap the whole ball of dough in clingwrap and then refrigerate it for an
- hour or overnight, but by rolling the dough between parchment, this shortens the chilling time and
- then itâs also been rolled out while still soft making it easier and quicker.
- â¢ Once chilled, peel off parchment and place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- â¢ Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or a sharp knife.
- â¢ Arrange shapes on parchment lined baking sheets and refrigerate for another 30mins to an hour.
- Tip: Itâs very important you chill them again otherwise theyâll spread while baking.
- â¢ Re-roll scraps and follow the above process until all scraps are used up.
- â¢ Preheat oven to 180Â°C (160Â°C Fan Assisted) / 350Â°F / Gas Mark 4.
- â¢ Bake until golden around the edges, about 8-15mins depending on the size of the cookies.
- Tip: Bake same sized cookies together otherwise mixing smaller with larger cookies could result in
- some cookies being baked before others are done.
- Tip: Rotate baking sheets half way through baking if your oven bakes unevenly.
- â¢ Leave to cool on cooling racks.
- â¢ Once completely cooled, decorate as desired.
- Tip: If wrapped in tinfoil/cling wrap or kept in airtight containers in a cool place, un-decorated
- cookies can last up to a month.
- Royal Icing:
- 1. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- 2. Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 194g|
|Calories from Fat 48||8%|
|Total Fat 5.38g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.74g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 131.4g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|