As summer draws to a close it's always nice to find a surprise in the garden. We found a few left over zucchinis hidden among the yellowing leaves and decided to make this great stuffed zucchini boat recipe. This is a filling, healthy delight for an evening dinner for two. Of course, if you have enough zucchini, simply double the recipe.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking spray
- 1 large zucchini, slice in half lengthwise
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
- 3/4 cup whole wheat cous-cous
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- About 2 cups (use your discretion) vegan mozzarella cheese
- Add the vegetable broth to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cous-cous to the broth, remove from heat and allow the broth to be absorbed. Once the broth is fully absorbed return to a medium heat and add the diced tomatoes, onions, parsley and Italian seasoning.
- Allow it to heat through.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the zucchini in half and scoop out the center with the seeds. Baste it with a small amount of olive oil and set it in a small baking pan that has been lightly rubber with oil or sprayed.
- Once the cous-cous mixture is heated through, scoop it into the zucchini halves and mound it up.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the zucchini is tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle generously with vegan mozzarella and place under the broiler for several minutes, being careful to brown but not burn the cheese.
- Remove and serve immediately with your favorite sliced fruit sides.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 406g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 111||66%|
|Total Fat 12.56g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 2.15g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 12.37g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|