My family has their own vineyard. We were collecting our own grape leaves and boil them first in order to make this recipe when I was living in Turkey.
For me, this is the best vegetarian/vegan dish ever. I can have this dish for every single meal, even as a snack with my afternoon tea.
It took me almost one hour to roll all the leaves. It is better to have someone with you to reduce the time you spent rolling them.
- a jar of canned grape leaves ( 2 lb )
- 2 cups of uncooked rice
- 1/2 bunch of green onion ( chopped )
- 1 large size of onion ( chopped )
- 10 cloves of garlic ( chopped )
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp pomegranate paste
- 2 lemon's juice
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of red pepper paste
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Take olive oil, chopped onion, garlic and green onion in a large pot over medium heat. Stir and saute it for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and red pepper paste in it and stir for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of boiling water into the pot and stir. Bring it to the boil and add rice in it. Cover the lid and turn the heat down to low. Simmer until rice absorb all of the water. ( Rice will cook halfway. ) Turn the heat off and add pomegranate paste, salt, black pepper, lemon juice in it and stir. Set a side.
- Take the jar ofÂ grape leaves and drain its juice. Wash the leaves and drain the excess water.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 976g|
|Calories from Fat 980||40%|
|Total Fat 111.02g||139%|
|Saturated Fat 15.73g||63%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 328.13g||88%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.8g||36%|