Baked french toast filled with orange-flavored cream cheese and served with a Pecan maple syrup with toasted pecans. Prep time includes refrigeration overnight.
- 1 (20 ounce) loaf uncut white bread (I use French Bread)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Maple syrup;
- Pecan Maple syrup
- 1 cup pecan pieces (for a richer flavor, Toast pecan halves in butter in a skillet until an aroma rises and the nuts begin to brown slightly and caramelize a little.)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional, Do not use if you use a quality Maple Syrup)
- 1. Cut 1 inch from each end of the loaf and discard or use for another recipe.
- 2. Cut the loaf into 1 inch thick slices and halve each slice on the diagonal.
- 3. Cut in the diagonal side of each piece of bread to form a pocket (this is almost like cutting the bread into 1/2" slices except you don't go through any of the other sides of the bread).
- 4. Mix the cream cheese, 2 Tbsp sugar, egg yolk, zest and 1 Tbsp orange juice until smooth.
- 5. Fill each bread pocket with 1 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture.
- 6. Put bread slices in a 13" x 9" baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- 7. Whisk the eggs, milk and 1 tsp vanilla until frothy and pour over the bread.
- 8. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10. Sprinkle bread with 1 tbsp sugar.
- 11. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 12. maple syrup, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c orange juice and 1 tsp vanilla in a pot.
- 13. Cook over medium heat stirring as required until cranberries burst and mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- 14. Toast the pecan pieces or halves while baking french toast.
- 15. Cool sauce and serve with toast. Should be prepared ahead of baking to allow for cooling.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 132g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 142||49%|
|Total Fat 16.28g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6.29g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 29.23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|