Cost per serving $1.16 view details
- 10 ounce Angel loaf cake
- 1/3 c. Strawberry jam or possibly jelly
- 1/3 c. Cream sherry Or possibly orange juice
- 3 c. Strawberries
- Â Â Custard sauce (cf. below)
- 3/4 c. Whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. Sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- 3 x Egg yolks
- CUSTARD SAUCE:Mix 1-1/2 tbsp. corstarch with 1/2 c. lowfat milk. Heat 1-3/4 c. of lowfat milk with 1/4 c. of sugar in a heavy saucepan or possibly double boiler, just to the point of boiling. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cornstarch mix till it's smooth. The cornstarch mixes better and without lumps if the lowfat milk is bone-chilling Cool.
- Cook, stirring constantly, till it thickens. It will thicken*fast*, so pay attention. Simmer for three min and remove from the heat. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3 beaten egg yolks. Cover and chill.
- THE TRIFLE:Split the angel loaf cake into 3 layers. Spread the jam between the layers and reassemble the layers. Cut the cake into 2-inch cubes. Arrange the cubes in a 2-qt serving bowl and sprinkle with the sherry or possibly orange juice. Wash the strawberries and pick out 8 to 12 berries for later garnishing. Remove the hulls from the rest of the berries and slice. Spoon the berries over the cake.
- Pour the chilled Custard Sauce over the berries. Cover the mix and chill for an hour or possibly more. Meanwhile, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla and whip till it forms*stiff* peaks. Spread the cream over the custard.
- Garnish the top with whole strawberries (the green hulls against the red and white background is particularly pleasing to the eye). Sprinkle the entire thing with the almonds, if you have them. Refrigerateand serve within a few hrs.
- Do not try to save this too long. It will get soggy before long and the strawberries will get mushy. So eat it all at once.
- (TIP): Make the Custard Sauce first. Cover and chill it till it's ready for use.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 122g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 54||37%|
|Total Fat 6.2g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 22.5g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|