Strawberry Tallcake Recipe
- 4 cups quartered strawberries (I used a little more)
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream (I used a little more)
- Cake- Best Butter Cake (recipe follows)
- 6 ounces good quality strawberry jam
- To make filling- Combine strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, the zest and lemon juice. Let sit 10 minutes. In medium bowl, mix whipping cream and 4 remaining tablespoons sugar until firm and stiff peaks form.
- Best Butter Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- About 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cups milk
To make filling- Combine strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, the zest and lemon juice. Let sit 10 minutes. In medium bowl, mix whipping cream and 4 remaining tablespoons sugar until firm and stiff peaks form.
Preheat oven to 350. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Using a stand mixer, beat sugar and 1/2 cup butter till creamy. Crack eggs into a bowl (DO NOT BEAT) and add vanilla. Add eggs and vanilla to mix, scraping down bowl as needed. Beat in flour and milk, alternating and ending with flour mixture.
Butter and flour 2 eight inch round cake pans. Divide batter evenly. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool cakes in pan 5 minutes, and then invert and cool on wire racks at least 40 minutes.
Using a serrated knife, slice both layers in 1/2.
*NOTE* This is easier if you slightly freeze your layers, and if NOT freezing, use a sharp wire to cut layers, not a knife.
Set rounded tops aside to use as middle layers. Place a dollop of whipped cream onto the plate to start with. This will hold your cake in place. Place 1 layer of cake on plate, cut side up. Spread with about 3 tablespoons jam. sprinkle with about 1/4 of the cut berries mixture and 1/4 of the whipped cream mixture. Repeat with second and third layers.
Place final layer on top of cake, cut side down. Mound the remaining whipped cream in the center and spread to about one inch from edges. Sprinkle with remaining strawberries.
*NOTE* This is NOT a neat cake...but it has the most wonderful flavor and a quaint, country, homemade look about it! It tastes like it might have liquor in it, but it doesn't. It was perfect for a BBQ.
How good does this recipe look to you?