Cost per recipe $11.94 view details
- 6 lrg Large eggs
- 1 c. Sugar
- 1 c. All-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Grated orange peel
- 6 Tbsp. Clarified butter, melted and cooled
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1Â 1/2 c. Chilled heavy cream
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Gelatin softened in 1 Tbsp. water
- 3 c. Fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- Â Â Toasted sliced almonds to taste
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Water
- 1/4 c. Orange-flavored liqueur
- Make the genoise: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 9-inch cake pans, line them with wax paper and butter and flour the paper, shaking out the excess.
- In a metal bowl set over simmering water combine the Large eggs and sugar and whisk the mix till the sugar is dissolved. With an electric mixer beat the Large eggs at moderate speed for 8 to 10 min, or possibly till the batter triples in volume and forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted.
- Onto a piece of wax paper sift the flour and salt. Sift and fold the flour mix, in batches, into the egg mix till just combined. In a small bowl combine the orange peel, clarified butter and vanilla. Stir 1/4 of batter into butter mix and fold butter mix quickly into batter.
- Proportionately divide batter between pans, spooning it into pans and hollowing center slightly. Rap pans on table to knock out any large air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 to 25 min, or possibly till golden brown and cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. If top browns too quickly cover loosely with foil.
- Let rest in pan for 5 min, invert onto racks to cold completely.
- Make the whipped cream frosting:In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters whip cream to very soft peaks. Add in the confectioner's sugar, gelatin, heated till clear, and vanilla and beat the cream to hard peaks.
- Make sugar syrup:In a saucepan set over moderate heat combine sugar, water and liqueur.
- Simmer till clear. Cold.
- Split cake layers horizontally. Dab a round of cardboard with some of the cream.
- Cut each layer horizontally to make 4 layers. Arrange one half-layer, cut side up, on cardboard and brush with some of the sugar syrup. Cover with a layer of cream (about 1/4-inch thick), layer of berries and sprinkle with some toasted sliced almonds. Set second half layer, bottom side up, on cream, moisten top with sugar syrup and spread with cream. Top with berries and almonds and set third cake layer on cream, cut side up, moisten top with sugar syrup and spread with cream. Top with berries and almonds and set fourth cake layer, bottom side up, on cream.
- Spread cream on top and sides of cake, reserving some for decoration. Press toasted almonds around sides of cake and decorate top with rosettes and berries. Refrigeratetill ready to serve.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1618g|
|Calories from Fat 1568||43%|
|Total Fat 177.64g||222%|
|Saturated Fat 100.7g||403%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 451.61g||120%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.6g||42%|