I love it when I stumble on a recipe that puts together ingredients I love, but wouldn't have thought of combining, and then far exceeds my expectations. This recipe, which I adapted from a new book we bought called Tangy, Tart, Hot & Sweet by Padma Lakshimi, really shines. She encourages the use of chinese long beans instead of green beans, but I think the green bean version is wonderful. We are near a lot of chinese markets where I frequently shop, but the long beans often aren't as fresh as the green beans. If you can find fresh long beans, by all means substitute them. But good, fresh green beans taste wonderful in this dish. If you're looking for a full-flavored vegetarian stir-fry that won't make you miss having meat, give this a try!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (optional. you can find these in any Indian or asian grocery. they are cheap and very useful in a variety of dishes)
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 4 plum or small tomatoes, quartered
- 15 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (regular, Sambar or Madras - reduce to 1 tsp if adding curry leaves)
- 1 pound fresh green beans (or chinese long beans) cut into 1 inch long pieces
- 1 (12 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp salt)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the mustard seeds and when they start to sizzle (about 2 minutes) add the onion, garlic, ginger and curry leaves and cook for 5 minutes. Add the green beans and tomatoes. Mix all ingredients, add the salt and curry powder, then mix again. Put a lid on the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, and cook for a final 5 minutes with lid removed.
- Serve hot over brown or white rice.
- Serves 4-6 as a side dish, 3 as an entree.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 391g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 77||21%|
|Total Fat 8.77g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 0.79g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 60.48g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 16.6g||55%|