A new foodie friend of mine, Michelle Karam, whom I met on Social Culinaire, was just mentioning she could not wait to come to Japan to eat sushi, as it was just frustrating and terribly expensive in her own country.
Well, why not making it yourself, then?
“It’s too difficult and one cannot get the ingredients!”
Really? There must be enough stores all the world by now which sell the basics. So why don’t you try this simple recipe for a start!
- Rice: 3 cups/600 cc
- Sushi vinegar:
- Rice vinegar: 3 tablespoons
- Sugar: just under 3 tablespoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Conger eels (anago/ç©´å): 3 (can be bought frozen
- Soy sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Mirin/Japanese sweet sake: 2 tablespoons
- Dried shiitake mushrooms: 3~4 (medium-sized)
- Dashi/Japanese soup stock: 1 cup/200 cc/ml
- Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce:1 tablespoon
- Trefoil or Italian Parsley: 1 bunch
- Eggs: 5
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Amazu jinja/ginger marinated in sweet vinegar: as appropriate for decoration/seasoning
- -Wash rice and steam in the normal way
- -Unless you can buy the conger eels already cooked and seasoned, vut their heads and tail, cut in half lengthwise and across again into one-bite sized pieces. Fry slowly with soy sauce and mirin/sweet sake until cooked and well-impregnated with seasoning sauce. Set apart.
- -In a pan pour the dashi/Japanese soup stock. Add the dried shiitake and stew until the mushrooms have become soft. Add the sugar and soy sauce. Keep simmering until all liquid has disappeared. Let cool. Cut into fine slices. Set apart.
- -Drop the trefoil in hot salted water for a few seconds. Drain well and cut into 2 cm long pieces.
- -Make a thin omelette with the eggs beaten with sugar and salt. Cut into thin threads.
- -Once the rice has been steamed, transfer it into a large vessel (wooden preferably, but a large ceramic dish will do). add the rice vinegar, sugar and salt evenly over it. Mix by âcutting inâ the rice with a wet paddle. Add conger eels and their juices, shiitake mushrooms and mix lightly.
- -Place an equal amount of the rice into bowls and steam (with a lid on) for 15 minutes over a strong fire. Open the lid, placean equal amount of eggthreads and steam again for 1 more minute.
- -Serve topped with trefoil and sweet vinegar marinated ginger!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 62g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 13||21%|
|Total Fat 1.49g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.46g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.44g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|