Steamed brownies (Brownies Kukus) first found their fame in Indonesia about twelve years ago after one bakery from Bandung introduced this cake. From that point on, a lot of people in Indonesia started to commercialize steamed brownies too.
- 6 Eggs
- 225 gr Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 tsp Emulsifier
- 125gr Cake flour
- 50gr Cocoa powder
- 175ml Vegetable oil
- 100gr Dark Cooking Chocolate
- 75 ml Sweet Condensed Milk
- Melt the dark cooking chocolate then mix it with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Sift the cake flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Cover the steamer's lid with clean cloth then heat the steamer with big fire.
- Cream eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and emulsifier with high speed electric mixer.
- Incorporate well the flour and cocoa powder mixture into the egg and sugar mixture by using spatula.
- Pour the melted dark cooking chocolate and vegetable oil mixture onto the brownies batter. Mix well by using spatula.
- Divide the brownies batter into 3 portions - let's call them mixture A, B and C.
- Mix 1/3 of the brownies batter with sweet condensed milk then set aside (this is mixture B). Mixture A and C are the brownies batter without the sweet condensed milk.
- Pour mixture A onto the cake pan which is already lined with parchment paper. Then, steam it for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture B on top of the steamed mixture A. Steam the brownies for another 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add mixture C on top of the steamed mixture A and B. Steam the whole brownies for 20 minutes. Total steaming time is 40 minutes as we are making 3 layers of the brownies.
- Once done, take the brownies out of the steamer. Let it cool for a bit then release the brownies from the cake pan.
- Decorate the brownies with melted white chocolate or dust the top of the brownies with icing sugar, as desired.