Today we had a little bit of everything--steak with mozzarella cheese, spaghetti, and oriental salad. I saw a version of it in a recent edition of Rachael Ray's magazine and I knew that the kids would like it. Who doesn't like steak with mozzarella smothered over it anyways? But we made it a little healthier by including some greens with orange slices and chow mein noodles. Claire didn't take the diced tomatoes too well (giving it a thumbs down for the first time) but Amber was content as usual. We are trying to get the kids off of the spaghetti sauce from the jar and to something healthier but I am thinking it's going to take a while. I personally thought the recipe was very good (enough to keep it on our weekly menu) and it provided a little bit of everything. And since we have leftover cheese, we might just get to do another one this week.
- 8 oz. thin spaghetti (or linguine)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 boneless rib eye steak
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 4 cups spring mix lettuce varieties (pre-packaged)
- 1 orange (or 2 mandarins), peeled
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- parsley flakes (garnish)
- 1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden or browned. Add diced tomatoes and juice, season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- 3. Season the steaks with salt. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the steaks and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a broiler safe pan.
- 4. Preheat broiler. Add a few diced tomatoes on top of the steak followed by the slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and browned in spots.
- 5. Place spring lettuce as desired onto plates with slices of orange and chow mein noodles.
- 6. Bring the steaks to the plate and garnish with parsley flakes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 374g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 269||23%|
|Total Fat 30.94g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 10.13g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 182.82g||49%|
|Dietary Fiber 26.3g||88%|