This is a great Beef Stew adapted from a recipe by Margaret Johnson. We doubled the recipe, used about half the butter, and added plenty of salt and black pepper. We also cooked it about 5 hours ahead of time and let it sit in the pot for another 3 hours after it was done cooking. It was awesome.
- 3 cups Guinness
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sprig of fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 to 3 onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a large glass dish, combine 1 cup of the Guinness, mustard, rosemary, and
- bay leaves. Add the beef cubes, stir to coat, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325Â°F. Drain the meat and discard the marinade. In a
- large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Brown the meat in batches, 3 to
- 5 minutes on each side, then transfer to a large casserole dish. Add the
- butter to the skillet, and when it foams, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the celery and carrots and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until tender. Reduce heat to simmer, stir in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes, or until blended. Add the remaining 2 cups Guinness, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the vegetables, meat, and mushrooms,cover, and cook for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Stir
- occasionally, and add a little more Guinness if the stew seems dry.
- Adjust seasonings and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 372g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 246||63%|
|Total Fat 27.69g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 10.9g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 25.33g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.0g||17%|