Sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted last. Things have been insanely busy around here. We had family in town for a month. I was also struggling to come up with recipes that were less fattening but still tasted good, so I needed that time as well to get my creative cooking skills into gear :) Anyway, last night I really wanted something healthy and filling and so this is what I came up with. It was delish!
- Split Pea Soup
- 2 1/4 cups green split peas
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 herb bag (3 cloves of minced garlic, 4 allspice berries, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp thyme, & 1 tsp basil)
- 2 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- Salt and Pepper
- Shredded carrot (optional garnishing)
- Purple Crusted Potatoes
- 24 oz Baby Klondike Purple Potatoes
- 3 tbsp Grape seed oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- To make an herb bag, place cloves of minced garlic, allspice berries, bay leaves, thyme, & basil in a cheesecloth and tie so the herbs wonât fall out.
- Pick over the peas and remove any stones. Wash and drain peas. Place peas, the onion, celery, scallions, garlic, herb bag, Liquid smoke and water in a large pot. Bring to a simmer. Skim the scum off the top of the soup for several minutes, until the scum stops rising. Cover loosely and simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the herb bag from the soup. PurÃ©e the soup with a blender in batches. Only fill the blender halfway, and hold down the lid while blending.
- Return the purÃ©e to the pot and heat to serve. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and garnish with shredded carrots.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and scrub potatoes (do not peel). In a medium bowl coat potatoes with oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and flour. Toss and place potatoes on a cooking sheet. Bake potatoes for about 45 minutes or until done. (fork will go through when done)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 399g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 6||3%|
|Total Fat 0.75g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.11g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.76g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 15.3g||51%|