I use my Aunt Pearl's Dough recipe and I decided to make a filling different from the norm (Potato & Cheese or Cabbage). I they taste great and go very well with the potato. The bite from the artichoke plays nicely against the cheese and garlic mixture.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbl. sour cream
- 1 tbl. Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 14oz. can marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1 package frozen spinach - cooked and squeeze out extra water (dry)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs. minced garlic
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 stick butter
- Combine all dough ingredients in a bowl and mix with hands. If mixture is too crumbly, add more milk a tablespoon at a time. If mixture is too moist, add more flour a tablespoon at a time. The dough should be able to be shaped into a ball and not stick to your fingers. Wrap ball of dough in plastic wrap, and set aside.
- Cook Spinach, and drain until dry. In bowl, combine spinach, drained and chopped artichokes, and all other ingredients. Blend well with fork.
- Using a teaspoon for a measure, roll mixture into balls and set aside.
- On the stove, fill a large pot with salted water and bring it to a steady boil.
- Roll out dough until it is thin (1/16th of an inch thick). Using a round biscuit cutter, cut dough into circles. Sticky side towards the ceiling, place one ball in the center of the dough and seal edges with your fingers. Using a fork, go over the edges of the sealed dough to seal the edges. Repeat until all are made.
- Drop assembled piroghi's into boiling water (8 at a time) and remove once they float up to the top. Lift them out with a spoon with holes, and place them in a buttered baking dish to cool. Repeat until all are made.
- Before eating, pan fry in a non-stick skillet and serve warm and brown on the sides.
- These freeze very well, just freeze them after they come out of the boiling water and cool. Pan fry them after they thaw.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 32g|
|Recipe makes 50 servings|
|Calories from Fat 69||63%|
|Total Fat 7.83g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 6.58g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|