Delicately spiced pastry parcels filled with sweet potato, chick peas, spinach, apricots and almonds served with a tomato/eggplant sauce.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cost per serving $0.89 view details
- For the parcels:
- 3 cups (1lb, 2oz, 510g) cooked sweet potato, cubed
- 7 1/2 oz (213g) canned chickpeas (half a regular sized can)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and fried in a little oil until soft
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- 1 lb (453g) ready made flaky or puff pastry, cut into 8 6-7 inch (15-18cm) squares
- 1 egg beaten or small quantity Eggbeaters (for an egg wash, omit if wanting a vegan dish)
- flour for dusting.
- For the eggplant sauce:
- 1 large aubergine, diced
- 4 fl oz, 50ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley.
- To make the parcel filling, simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Roll out the pastry and cut into 8 squares.
- Place a quantity of filling in the centre of each, wet the edges and form into parcels, crimping the sides together to seal them.
- Place on an oiled baking tray/cookie sheet and paint with the beaten egg if using.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees F (218 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and risen.
- To make the sauce, saute the aubergine in the oil until softened and brown in places. This takes around 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- You may need to add a little water during cooking time if the mix requires it.
- Serve each parcel with a quantity of sauce poured on top.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 194g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 14||16%|
|Total Fat 1.62g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.27g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.43g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.8g||19%|