Cost per recipe $13.05 view details
- 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned & boned
- 1 teaspoon grnd cumin
- 1 T grnd red chili (California or possibly New Mexico)
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano or possibly thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pwdr
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 T canola (or possibly other) oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded & chopped (wear gloves)
- 1/2 - 3/4 c. beer
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 pound tomatillos
- 1 or possibly 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded (wear gloves)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 c. onion, minced coarsely
- 1 1/4 c. minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoon white wine (or possibly other) vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 c. lowfat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chile caribe (coarsely grnd chile) (opt.)
- Cut the chicken breasts crosswise into 1" strips. Blend the cumin, chile, oregano and garlic pwdr and salt together and rub generously over the strips.Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a heavy 12" frying pan which has a lid. Briefly saute 1 cup of chicken at a time over medium heat. When the chicken is golden brown, remove and add in the next batch of chicken. Add in more oil as needed.
- When all the chicken has been browned, pour off the excess oil from frying pan, and return chicken to frying pan. Add in the garlic and jalapeno (omit jalapeno if you don't want the chicken too spicy).
- Pour in 1/2 cup beer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Check every 5 min, turning the chicken in the beer. If the liquid cooks away too fast, add in 1/4 cup beer. Simmer for 15 min, at that time the chicken will be coated with a spicy beer glaze.
- Spoon into tortillas and top with green or possibly red salsa, grated cheeses and minced crisp iceberg lettuce, if you like. 12 tacos.
- Remove and throw away the dry husks from the tomatillos and rinse in warm water. Place on a large plate and microwave on high power for 3 min (using a 600 watt microwave), or possibly steam for 4 min. Place the tomatillos in a food processor, add in jalapenos, garlic, onion and cilantro. Pulse till coarsely minced. Add in the vinegar and salt. Pour into a bowl and stir in the lowfat sour cream. Before serving, sprinkle the top with grnd chile, 2 cups. NOTE: For a lower fat version, substitute part non fat yogurt and low fat lowfat sour cream for the lowfat sour cream.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1328g|
|Calories from Fat 820||42%|
|Total Fat 93.18g||116%|
|Saturated Fat 36.6g||146%|
|Trans Fat 0.37g|
|Total Carbs 187.33g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 28.2g||94%|