Cost per recipe $6.24 view details
- 1 stk , (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c. Granulated sugar
- 10 lrg Egg yolks
- 1Â 1/3 c. All-purpose flour sifted with 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 9 lrg Egg whites, (at room temperature)
- 1 pch Cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg, (I used the regular spice not fresh)
- 1 tsp Grnd cloves
- 1 tsp Grnd ginger
- 1 tsp Grnd cardamon
- 3 Tbsp. Melted unsalted butter
- Â Â Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- I found this recipe in a Sunset magazine from February 1984. It is a cake which originated in Holland. It is a beautiful looking cake and really not as much work as it may seem. The time consuming part was the layering. It is pretty dense, but my house liked it. I would like to try a topping on it but have no idea what topping to try. (My son wanted cold whip on his piece)
- In a large bowl cream the butter, beat in the granulated sugar, a little at a time, and beat the mix till it is fluffy. Add in the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat the mix for 5 min.
- Stir in the flour mix and the vanilla and combine the batter well. In another large bowl beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and healthy pinch of salt till they hold stiff peaks and fold them gently but thoroughly into the batter. Pour half the batter into another bowl. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and cardamon and stir the spice mix into half of the batter (one of the bowls).
- Spread 1/2 c. of the spiced batter into a buttered and floured 9-inch springform pan, spreading it proportionately, and bake the layer in the lower third of a preheated 300F oven for 15 min. Brush the layer gently with some of the of the melted butter, spread it proportionately with 1/2 c. of the unspiced batter, and bake the layers in the middle of the oven for 15 min. Brush the layer with melted butter and put 1/2 c. of the spiced batter over it and bake another 15 min. Continue alternating the layers in the same manner. For the last layer bake 30 min. Remove the sides of the pan and let the cake cold for 10 min. Invert the cake onto a serving plate, let it cold completely and dust it with confectioners' sugar.
- I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it really was very easy.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 899g|
|Calories from Fat 773||31%|
|Total Fat 87.07g||109%|
|Saturated Fat 42.63g||171%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 346.65g||92%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.1g||34%|