Spanish Style Bean Soup Recipe
It's Sabado Mexicano and that means it's Saturday around here. It’s a soup kind of day. This one will warm you up with Mexican flavors. It’s hearty, full of vegetables and meaty too. Feel free to add any vegetables you like. Enjoy!
- 12 oz Chorizo links âor smoked sausage
- 1 cup chopped lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic pods, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 2 -15 oz cans Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
- 1 -15 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock, water or both
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 4 oz chopped spinach, kale, chard or other greens
Rough chop the sausage and ham. In a large stockpot, sautÃ© sausage and ham to render fat. Remove all but a couple tablespoons of grease and add onions and garlic.
Stir in the potatoes. SautÃ© for a few minutes to brown the potatoes. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes with juice and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add seasonings and the spinach. Partially cover and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
Note: You can use pintos, Mexican red beans â any bean you may like. Also, you can use 1 teaspoon regular paprika with 1/4 teaspoon cayenne if you cannot find the hot smoked paprika.
How good does this recipe look to you?