I never did like the taste of jarred or canned sauce. So on my 19 year old's first birthday I decided to make mine homemade. It was a hit and I have not looked back! There are many ways to make this sauce your own since this is just the bare-bones basic recipe. I hope you enjoy.
- 2 shallots, chopped fine
- 3 large cloves of garlic ( you can use less, I LOVE garlic!), chopped fine
- 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes (plus 11/2 cans of water)
- About 2 tbs. of tomato paste (I use the kind in the tube, it lasts longer and has a better flavor)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tsp of dried rosemary (rub rosemary between palms as you are adding, it helps to release flavor)
- 2tsp each, basil and oregano
- In a large pot (or dutch oven), heat E.V.O.O. Add shallots and garlic sautee until soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, paste, and water, stir to combine.
- Let warm up over med-high heat.
- Add spices and bring to a boil, ( not a crazy boil, just need to get it really hot.)
- Reduce heat to med-low and simmer for at least 2 hours.
- You may need to add more water as sauce does reduce, depending on your preference in thickness.
- If it seems a bit too tangy, sprinkle a little sugar and stir.
- Serve over your choice of pasta and enjoy!
- P.S. This is a great sauce to put meatballs with!
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 936g|
|Calories from Fat 27||8%|
|Total Fat 3.25g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.63g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 79.11g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 20.3g||68%|