Wow this burger and cornbread creation is amazing! Sometimes it’s fun to make something a little
different. This is not your typical burger. First, we discovered the most delicious low fat corn bread mix. So simple to make. All you add is water before you bake it. You’re going to love it, guaranteed! We’ve also cut the fat and calories down by using reduced-fat crushed tortilla chips, instead of regular, egg whites and topping the burger with fat-free sour cream. The skinny on each burger is 314 calories and 6 grams of fat. A regular serving has 457 calories and 26 grams of fat. These chicken burgers are made indoors so you can make them all year long, and you’ll surely want to!
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 9
Skinny Facts: for one serving
314 calories, 6g fat, 23g protein, 50g carbs, 2g fiber, 845mg sodium, 15g sugar
Fat Facts: for one serving
457 calories, 26g fat, 23g protein, 50g carbs, 2g fiber, 953mg sodium, 15g sugar
- 1-1b package Marie Callenderâs Low Fat Southwestern Corn Bread Mix, see shopping tip
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- Â½ cup crushed baked tortilla chips (1oz chips)
- Â¼ cup sweet red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons Spice of Lifeâs âSouthwestern Mesquiteâ spice blend or use (Â½ teaspoon chili powder, Â½ teaspoon paprika, Â½ teaspoon garlic powder and Â½ teaspoon cumin) see shopping tip below
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 tomato slices from 2 large tomatoes
- Purchased salsa, we used Pace Chunky Salsa, medium hot
- Â½ cup fat-free sour cream
- Â½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1. To make cornbread: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat bottom and sides of a 9â square pan with cooking spray. Add to a mixing bowl 1Â½ cups water and 1 pouch of corn bread mix. Using a fork, mix until lumps disappear. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 2. While cornbread is baking, add to a large bowl, chicken, onions, tortilla chips, red peppers, egg white and all of the spices including fresh ground pepper. Shape chicken mixture into 8 patties. Tip: Use â measuring cup to measure each patty. Flatten each patty a little.
- 3. To cook the burgers: This burger is best made using a Panini grill, George Forman grill or nonstick pan.Â Coat the grill with cooking spray. It only takes 4-5 minutes total with this type of grill because both sides of the burger are cooked at once. To cook in a nonstick pan, coat the pan first with cooking spray. and cook burgers on each side about 4-5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- 4.To cut cornbread: Cut the pan in half one way and cut in half the other way. This makes 4 large squares. Cut each square in half to make 2 triangles. You should have created 8 triangles total.
- 5.To assemble burgers: Place one warm slice of cornbread on each plate. Cut each warm burger in half and arrange both pieces on top of cornbread. Top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream, salsa and a little scallions. Serve more salsa at the table for those who desire more.
- 6. Serve with a fork and knife!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 248g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 98||45%|
|Total Fat 10.93g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3.37g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 18.02g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|