This recipe has been passed down from my Grandmother to my Mother and myself, My children now make the famous barbecue sauce. I have updated to fit my personal likes. The perfect blend of spicy and hot are a wonderful treat for the palet.
- 8 servings
- 8 chicken legs and thighs (as one piece)
- 16 T. Butter
- 1 batch chicken rub (recipe to follow)
- 1 batch Southern barbecue sauce (recipe to follow)
- fresh parsley for garnish
- fresh lemon sliced and twisted for garnish
- Chicken rub:
- 5 T. smoked paprika
- Â¼ c. light brown sugar
- 2 T. kosher salt
- 1 Â½ T. ground cumin
- 1 T. ground allspice
- 1 T. chipotle chili powder
- Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl.
- Sweet Southern Barbecue Sauce:
- 3 c. water
- 3 c. ketchup
- 1 Â¾ c. brown sugar
- 2 Â½ T. minced garlic
- 1 small lemon sliced
- 6 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Â½ tsp onion
- 1 Â½ tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- Sauce Directions :
- Place all above ingredients in a medium pot and whisk together. Simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour or until it has reduced by at least a third and thickens.
- Use the lemon slices as a garnish over finished chicken.
- Preheat grill on medium heat. Prepare two large sheet pans with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Wash chicken, pat dry. Place chicken on baking pans. Lift the skin and rub with butter as far as you can. Push your fingers. Then lift skin again and place about 1 tsp. to 1 Â½ tsp. of chicken rub under skinârub it in good. Then rub the outside skin with butter and chicken rub. Continue this until all 8 leg thigh pieces are done. Place chicken on preheated grill at 350Â°F for about 40 minutes to 1 hour with lid down. Turn every 10 to 20 minutes. Apply sauce during the last fifteen minutes of cooking to both sides with a barbecue mop or a paintbrush. Remove chicken from grill. Cover in sweet barbecue sauce and let stand five minutes. Garnish with lemon and fresh parsley