Cost per serving $0.48 view details
- 1 lb. dry black-eyed peas, soaked 6 hours in water
- 3 cups homemade chicken broth, or canned
- 3 cups water
- 2 pieces half-cooked hardwood bacon, or 1/4 cup chopped, left-over ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- optional: 1/4 cup slivers of spinach or collard greens (make something else with the rest)
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 oz. tomato sauce
- 4 oz. petite diced tomatoes, or 1-2 diced Romas
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Soak peas in water for 6 or more hours
- Cook bacon, half-way, remove and chop.
- Add onion to the bacon grease, cook until translucent, add garlic and slivered vegetable of choice
- Drain peas from soaking water.
- Add them to a soup pot, along with all other ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.
- Optional: serve over rice.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 216g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||7%|
|Total Fat 0.17g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.05g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.99g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|