Cost per recipe $4.30 view details
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- scant tbs. yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (105-115 F)
- 2 tbs. melted butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- toppings: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, oatmeal flakes
- Proof yeast in warm milk and honey.
- Add rest of the ingredients and combine well.
- Turn out onto a floured surface.
- Knead 5-7 minutes.
- The dough will be wet. If you want soft buns, resist the temptation to add much more flour.
- Place in a bowl, pour on oil, spread,and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Punch down, form into the shape of the buns you prefer.
- Place on parchment paper sprinkled with corn meal. Sprinkle on toppings.
- Let rise 30-40 minutes.
- (Note that this dough will puff up in the oven, but not so much when going through the 2 rises. I thought it might have to be tossed out, but the buns turned out a great height, wonderfully tasty, and soft. With this recipe, I have made 12 hamburger buns, and 16 hot dog buns.)
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Bake buns for 17-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 839g|
|Calories from Fat 462||20%|
|Total Fat 52.05g||65%|
|Saturated Fat 22.85g||91%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 381.98g||102%|
|Dietary Fiber 24.6g||82%|