Cost per recipe $1.96 view details
- 370 g/13 oz plain flour
- 130 g/ 4 1/2 oz wholemeal flour
- 5 ml/1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5 ml/1 tsp salt
- 40 g/1 1/2 oz melted, unsalted butter
- 15 ml/1 tbsp black treacle
- 300-340 ml/11-12 fl oz buttermilk*
- or use warm milk plus 15 ml/1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F,Gas Mark 6.
- Put both flours in a large bowl with the bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix together. Pour the butter and treacle into the centre of the flour mixture with enough of the milk to make a sticky dough.
- Knead the dough for one minute on a lightly floured work surface. Shape into a ball, flatten with the palm of the hand and using a wooden spoon make a deep cross shape in the bread.
- Dust with a little flour, then bake at the top of the oven for about 40 minutes, when the loaf will sound hollow if you tap the bottom of it.
- This bread does not keep well but it freezes beautifully. I usually cut it into eighths before freezing and just thaw out what I need in the microwave. It also makes brilliant toast.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 752g|
|Calories from Fat 341||19%|
|Total Fat 38.99g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 22.96g||92%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 298.24g||80%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.0g||33%|