Comfort food for a rainy day. Bean melange simmered with smoked ham hocks, dark beer, chicken broth, herbs, and a smidgen of chipotle pepper for a hearty smoky flavored soup.
- 1 18 oz. package blend of beans
- Â½ medium sized sweet onion diced
- 8 oz chopped carrots (about 10-12 small carrots)
- 9 oz chopped celery (about 5-6 stalks)
- 2.95 oz ham hocks
- 14.5 oz can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 5-6 fresh sage leaves minced
- 5-6 basil leaves minced
- 1 chipotle pepper wrapped in cheesecloth
- chicken broth 1 box
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 14 oz bottle dark beer
- Pepper and salt to taste (caution as ham hocks are already salty)
- Wash and rinse beans in cold water and soak overnight in water.
- Discard the water.
- In a large covered pan, sautÃ© garlic, onion, carrots, and celery in oil.
- Add beans, ham hocks, chicken broth, peeled chopped tomatoes, diced ginger, thyme, marjoram, chipotle pepper and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Then add the beer, balsamic vinegar, sugar, fresh sage and basil and simmer for another 1 hour on low heat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Discard the chipotle pepper before serving soup.
- Serve with warm olive bread or warm sour dough bread.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 153g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 53||46%|
|Total Fat 5.94g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.59g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.13g|
|Total Carbs 10.21g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|