With chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, jalapenos, cumin, cliantro, orange juice and other spices, this Pork Loin recipe just bursts with flavor. All of our guests really loved it, The recipe is adapted from the america's test kitchen family cookbook.
- 1 (4.5-5 pound) boneless pork loin roast, tied
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 strip orange zest (about 6 inches)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped (can get in the mexican/intl aisle of most supermarkets -- add more if you want it spicy)
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro minced
- For Cilantro Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Rinse the roast, dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium high. Brown the roast on all sides, reducing heat if it smokes, about 10 minutes. Put the roast in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 2 tsp of oil to the skillet and heat to medium. Add the onions, jalapenos, cumin, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook until the onions are soft, about 5 min. Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, scraping up bits. Bring to a simmer then pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, orange juice, orange zest, chipotles, and oregano to the slow cooker. Add the chopped sweet potatoes, nestling them around the edges of the meat. Cover and cook on low until the roast is tender and registers about 170, about 5-6 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a carving board and tent loosely with foil. Let the rest of the ingredients settle for 5 minutes and skim off any fat.
- Now you have two choices. You can put all the cooking liquid and vegetables in a blender and puree it. The sweet potatoes will thicken it nicely. Or, you can leave as is and serve the sweet potatoes and a more liquid broth over the meat.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the cilantro sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Untie the roast and slice in 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange the meat on a servinig platter, pouring 1 cup of the sauce over the top. Serve the remaining sauce in a gravy container, and the cilantro sour cream on the side.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 469g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 242||46%|
|Total Fat 27.09g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 10.25g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 28.21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.0g||13%|