Comes from Fix It & Forget It Big Cookbook p. 285
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Servings: 8-10 people
Cost per serving $1.44 view details
- 1 lb lean ground beef I used about a pound and a half
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. green bell pepper, chopped
- 16 oz can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed & drained I used pinto b/c that's what I had
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies I used a 14 oz can
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp chili pwd
- 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash of dried red pepper flakes and/or several drops Tabasco sauce, if you like
- 1 c. shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 c shredded low fat Monterey Jack cheese I used Motzerella & mild Cheddar
- 6 flour tortillas 6 or 7 inches
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown beef, onions, and green pepper. I started with a skillet, but ended up having to switch to a big pot like what I'd boil spaghetti noodles in. I'd start with a bigger pot so you don't have to dirty two pots.
- 2. Add remaining ingredients, except cheeses and tortillas. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4. Combine cheeses in a bowl.
- 5. In a slow cooker, layer about 3/4 c. beef mixture, one tortilla, and about 1/4 c. cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used. I didn't measure beef, etc. I put enough beef to cover the bottom and then put a tortilla on top. It didn't cover all the meat, so I put a second tortilla on and there was a little overlap. I continued to layer. However, on the other layers, I only did 1 tortilla and centered it. On the last layer (the top) I did use 2 tortillas with an overlap again. I finished with the double tortilla and a good amount of cheese.
- 6. Cover. Cook on low 5-7 hours.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 288g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 175||36%|
|Total Fat 19.52g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 9.76g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.53g|
|Total Carbs 43.35g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.9g||36%|