I slightly adapted thie famous Argentine beef stew to be slightly more flavorful...and thus to my liking. The extra cumin seeds, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper don't take away from the flavor of the meat and vegetables, but they give an added kick that makes this classic family stew extraordinary. We had it at our family reunion, and everyone raved. I hope you enjoy it!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes cut into wedges (peeling is optional)
- 2 medium potatoes, peels and cut in eighths
- 8 ounces winter squash or pumpkin (I used acorn squash) peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin seed, toasted (or 1 tsp ground cumin)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/3 tsp cayenne
- 1 14oz can beef broth, or 14 oz beef stock
- 1/2 head medium cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper and kosher salt to taste
- In a large skil. let, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings, and dry on paper towels. Crumble bacon and reserve until serving time. Brown beef, one half at a time, in the pan. Drain off fat.
- In a large slow cooker place all vegetables (execpt cabbage) and all spices (except fresh Thyme if using). Add meat. Pour broth over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat for 8-10 hours, or on high heat for 4-5 hours.
- If using low, turn to high. Stir in the cabbage and fresh Thyme (if using). Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkling each with crumbled bacon.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 437g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 142||47%|
|Total Fat 15.77g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 5.8g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.77g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||19%|