When you think of comfort food you think of something hot, fattening, rich and loaded with calories.
Mac and Cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods but it does have a bit too much fat and cholesterol -- my doctor would not approve.... So my sister "the cook" shared with me her recipe which I tried and it was really very good.
Here's the recipe which I hope you will try if you are looking to cut back on the high fat cheese and butter.
- 3 cups shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded GruyÃ¨re cheese (optional - I had this left from another recipe and it added an additional level of flavor)
- 2 TBLS. butter alternative
- 2 TBLS. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg (optional)
- 8 oz. whole grain elbow macaroni cooked
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make a roux with the melted butter and flour stirring for a minute or so to cook the flour. Add the milk and keep stirring until slightly thickened. This takes anywhere from 4-9 minutes -- give or take a minute or two depending on the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the nutmeg if you desire.
- Cook the elbow macaroni al dente -- don't overcook it. Drain the macaroni and put into a baking dish coated with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Slowly stir the shredded cheddar cheese (saving 1/4 cup for topping), and most of the shredded GruyÃ¨re (saving 1/4 cup for topping) to the milk mixture until well blended.
- Pour the milk and cheese mixture over the macaroni, stirring to evenly coat all the macaroni.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese evenly over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melts on top and is bubbling. About 15-20 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 236g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 272||44%|
|Total Fat 30.93g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 19.32g||77%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.8g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|